Social Media Habits for Radio Listeners
Arbitron and Edison Research Indefinite released the 2013 study on the social media habits of radio listeners. The results come at a time when radio is trying to ensure competitiveness among a younger demographic. The following are results as reported by Talkers Magazine.
- News/talk/sports P1s are very aware of digital music services such as Pandora and iHeartRadio although they are far less likely to be regular users than are P1s of other radio formats.
- They are slightly more likely to have listened to a podcast in the last month compared to the larger group of all radio users 12-plus (15% versus 12%).
- News/talk/sports P1s are big YouTube users with 43% saying they watched a YouTube video in the last week compared to 37% for all radio users 12-plus.
- News/talk/sports P1s are far less likely to wake up to a cell phone (19%) than are all radio users 12-plus (30%).
- News/talk/sports P1s are fans of tablet devices with 34% claiming to own one versus 29% for all radio users 12-plus.
- They are less likely to follow a radio station on Facebook (2%) than are all radio users 12-plus (9%).
- And they are also less likely to be frequent social media users (“several times per day”) with 20% saying they do so compared to 27% for all radio users 12-plus.